Saturday, November 5, 2011

Jack Versus the Crab at the JD Set 7 Long Sets Event at No. 38


I was holding out blogging about this particular night because I was waiting for Jack Daniel's to release all the pictures they took from night on Facebook. But it's been weeks and they haven't posted them still. So I'll take the time to blog about this now.

This post is of my gig with Jack Versus the Crab at the JD Set 7 Long Sets production at No. 38 last October 14, 2011. We skipped Jack Daniel's Birthday event. So this was the first time since the JD Set 7 Tour Launch, that we've played for Jack Daniel's.

The gig venue was a little bit of a concern for the band days prior to the gig. Some have been to No. 38 and noticed how tiny the space is for the band. Most bands that play there usually just play acoustic, or would bring a junior drum kit because of the limited space. We were a large band, minimum of 10 people at any given gig. So space was always a concern at any gig. Fortunately, Jack Daniel's knew this and actually segmented out more of the floor of the band. Phew!


My good friend Joseph and I got there early to catch "Stories of Now" play. That band really minds a very "Smallville soundtrack"-esque style to them given their pop sensibilities. One of the Jack Daniel's promo girls was trying to sell me into buying a bottle of Jack Daniel's. I found this amusing because JD Set 7 bands are provided bottles and are discouraged from buying and voting for themselves during the entire span of their competition. After she made her very compelling pitch, I identified myself as being part of Jack Versus the Crab. She immediately sprang with a dozen apologies in a row, and I just politely laughed and told her it was okay.

Photo taken by Patricia Pelayo

While the rest of my band was slowly trickling in. We feasted on crispy pata and drowned ourselves with Jack Cokes. We were practically complete after a while, except for our drummer Fritz, who was playing for Snafu at another venue in Makati. We tried to stall the organizers for a bit.  Although the organizers were very accommodating, we couldn't just keep pushing back our set start time.  So we started setting up and even started playing a song that could be pulled off acoustic. This kinda of made me nervous because my congas part had to carry the rhythm. Luckily, mid-way through the song, Fritz arrived and headed straight for the drum kit. We then started our set.

Below are videos that my friend Joseph took of our entire set that night. He used my Zoom Q3HD to take the video as usual.

"Your Smiles"


"What's Goin' On"


"So Nice To Be Loved"


"Detox"


The funny thing about "Detox" is that I've only heard this song twice before and I haven't figured my part for it. Hence why you will see I'm just jamming with the band with just a triangle. LOL!

"I'm In Love Again"


"The Song I Never Finished"


Waxie made me solo for longer than usual during our last song. I could feel the limitation of my skill to wow the crowd. But I just kept playing and putting in fills the best I could. I think I did okay. But I also don't think the crowd was super entertained.

Soon after us, "Paramita" played. I actually took videos of them playing. But I haven't gotten around cutting and uploading them to YouTube. I'll make a separate blog post when I get around cutting those videos I suppose.


Paramita has been around 2004-2005. But they got so much better with the injection of Marco and Alsy into the band. This is the only local band to date that sports a vocalist/drummer. And the style still fits very well. Out of the 7 JD Set bands, if we don't win, I actually want Paramita to win instead.

EDIT: I got around editing and uploading one of the videos I took of Paramita's set that night. Here it is below.



It was a fun night filled with good food, booze, friends, and music. Joseph and I split shortly after Paramita's set, so we can bring my gear back home and play a little "Castlevania: Harmony of Despair". Another fun night to rack up for this year.


END OF LINE...

No comments: