Saturday, November 19, 2011

STOMP! - SunDownMuse Gig - Blizzcon

I just finished watching this movie called "Friends with Benefits" and now find myself with nothing to do. So I decided to cut into my blogging backlog again. This post is about the awesome triple header night I had back on October 21, 2011.

My company's Office Admin Manager, Joy, was so nice to score me two tickets to watch STOMP! that night. So I invited Charlene to come along with me. Charlene took the day off from her work and offered to pick me up and head to CCP to watch.


Now CCP is a little strict when it comes to taking pictures or video. I'm sure I would've been able to sneak in a few snaps with my Blackberry or take a few minutes of video. But to be honest, STOMP was just so breathtakingly awesome, that I was just so engrossed in their performance to think about taking pictures or video. So my apologies that I do not have anything visual to show you.

STOMP was fantastic to say the least. They're a group that focuses on alternative percussion rhythms first and then dance intertwined second. I was mesmerized with all the different things they used while performing. They used broomsticks, newspaper, garbage cans, fire extinguishers, etc.

For a few moments during STOMP's performance, I was even thinking perhaps I should try out for that group and see if I could get in. I'm sure I'll get all the rhythms down no problem. But I'm no theater performer. There was a lot more going into their performance than just the rhythms.

After the performance, Charlene and I shared ear-to-ear smiles on our faces after being so entertained. I do hope I get to watch STOMP again some time. They're just too good.

Charlene was so nice that she even volunteered to drive and come with me to my gig with SunDownMuse at Last Home. When we got to Last Home, the rest of my bandmates were already there except for Islaw. Islaw also watched STOMP that night. So he had to follow to Last Home after. This band called Mistress was gracious enough to invite us to join their event in Last Home. This was also the first time that the vocalist has seen SunDownMuse play because the last time we played a gig with Mistress, she left early.

Briggs' partner, Carol, was kind enough to use my Zoom Q3HD to take video of our set that night. Below are the resulting videos she took. Thanks Carol!

"Khattamshud"


"Flesh 'n Bone"


"Drive to Tears" [Cover]


Despite our drummer Andrew asking me if the speed he was going at was okay with me, I still thought our cover was too fast for my liking. It's all because when we played this song with a past drummer, I purposely had my part go double time. But now that with Andrew it was faster, my arms can't handle the double time part I came up for myself. I still I did okay that night. But I think I need to rethink my percs part for this cover song. LOL!

"Loaded"


We actually had one more song after "Loaded". But we struggled with the intro of the last song that night. So I decided to take that video down off of YouTube.

My officemate Mikko came over with his girlfriend to watch us. It was cool to have friends over who actually take me up on my invites. That rarely happens. Charlene was such pleasant company and a surprise at the same time. She was so gung-ho about being treated like everybody else that she would carry one of my congas over her shoulder. Which I knew left some kind of mark on her shoulder. But she insisted so. When Charlene dropped me off at my place, I started the 3rd part of my night, Blizzcon 2011!


I bought the virtual ticket so I can watch Blizzcon live streaming like last year. Joseph wanted me to text him when I was already at home and watching Blizzcon. So he came over after a while and joined my geeky festivities.

STOMP, pleasant company, booze, good friends, SunDownMuse gig, and Blizzcon! Blizzcon was a 2 day affair. So I had a huge smile on my face that entire weekend. Joseph stayed until late Saturday night, and my friend Mari joined in on the fun too that Saturday. I got my fill of updates about the next World of Warcraft expansion, what's new in Diablo 3 development, unit changes in Starcraft 2 when Heart of the Swarm gets released, right down to the intense Starcraft 2 tournament. All of which culminated to an awesome performance by the Foo Fighters!


\m/


END OF LINE...

No comments: