Sunday, October 16, 2011

Last Minute Gig at Capone's

I'm getting a piling backlog again of what's been happening lately that I want to blog about. This only means things are looking up in the personal aspect of my life. This particular post is about our spontaneous SunDownMuse gig last October 7, 2011.

It was a Friday then. And I was making plans with my friend Mari. However, our drummer Andrew texted asking if we wanted to gig at Capone's Bistro, A Venue Mall in Makati. We just had band practice the previous night, and the thought of when our next gig will be was lingering in our heads that night. So all the band members agreed, and made arrangements with our respective jobs, so that we could make the gig possible. I had to bail on my friend Mari for that night. Sorry Mari!

(All photos in this post are from LC of Reklamo)

Two comedians around the scene performed that night. I personally found the first comedian not all that funny. I was pleasantly surprised with the second comedian, Mike Unson. I remember gigging at a nice bar called Sanctum Unmasct in Intramuros years ago. And at times, Mike would be there to perform stand-up. Back then, he'd be reading jokes from a notebook. He was funny back then. But it depended on the joke he was delivering. Mike seems to have improved his craft since then. And although you don't expect to be literally rolling on the floor laughing while watching someone like Robin Williams, Mike's very current and Filipino flavored humor got me laughing quite a few times.

Reklamo


A band called Reklamo played soon after Mike. Back when 6Underground was still running in Makati, we were booked to play every Saturday for a year. Most of those Saturdays, LC would be playing. That act was the makings of the recent GBOB winner, Reklamo.

While Reklamo was setting up, I grabbed my Zoom Q3HD from my gig bag that was sitting to the side of the stage. After a couple of high-fives with Reklamo, I reminded LC about the 6UG Makati days. Of course, reminiscent of those good times, I requested the band to play their rendition of the Transformers theme song. Now take note, they started covering that song way before the 1st Michael Bay movie came out. LC has been a hardcore fan of the Transformers eversince he was a kid. He even drives an old Volkswagen which alludes to the original version of Bumblebee (not the current Camaro version).

LC spoke to the crowd midway through his set saying "If it's too loud, you're old.". And really sums up what kind of music they played. Those guys know how to rock out. And they do it their way. To my surprise, the band played Transformers. LC came over to me after their set saying "Thanks for requesting the song man. We hadn't played that song in years."


SunDownMuse


Soon after Reklamo, we set up to play as well. The crowd thinned out significantly by the time we played. But at least those who stayed behind appreciated our music. Below are videos of 2 of our songs that we played that night. My good friend Joseph used my Zoom Q3HD to take video of our entire set. But I only posted 2 because we made a few noticeable mistakes in our other songs. LOL.

"Nothing"


"Flesh and Bone"


It was the first time I used my clave sticks in a gig. It those two cigar looking sticks I pulled out while playing "Flesh and Bone". I bought those things years ago. But never really injected it into any SunDownMuse songs. So that night was a treat for me clave sticks. LOL.


Soon after the gig, I actually felt all the fatigue from a whole day's working, heaving my percs gear to Capone's, and the gig itself. As much as I wanted to continue drinking with my bandmates, I asked Joseph to help me bring my percs gear home, and we'd hang there instead. I conked out pretty quickly upon arriving home. I kept passing out on Joseph while we were watching "Scott Pilgrim".

Despite getting that tired on a Friday, I had a lot of fun. A few more practices and gigs, and I think SunDownMuse will be really tight already. Looking forward to it.


END OF LINE...

No comments: