Tuesday, June 11, 2013

May 2013 = Concert Month

The month of May was filled with good acts coming to Manila to do concerts.  Given how rarely good bands come to the Philippine these days, I didn't want to miss out on all the good music.  In one month, I watched Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, Aerosmith, and Jason Mraz (full band setup).  It was an expensive month to say the least because good seats for most of those concerts came at a premium.

Below are a few pictures and videos I took from each of the concerts.  I uploaded more videos from the concerts more than what I've embedded on this post.  Just look through my YouTube channel for more videos from those concerts.

Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators
(SMART Araneta Coliseum)


Slash - Sweet Child O' Mine



Slash - Welcome to the Jungle



I actually think the bassist was a better vocalist than Myles Kennedy.  He had all the glam clichet moves down pat.  Right down to the short grunt he made at the end of Welcome to the Jungle.  Amusingly entertaining.

Slash - Paradise City



Generally, I would still rather watch these Guns 'n Roses songs with the original line-up.  But it seems whatever it is between Axl and Slash is irreparable.  Still fun to watch Slash do exactly the same guitar parts for songs that I love for years.  And his band seemed very tight.

Aerosmith
(Mall of Asia Arena)


Aerosmith - Livin' on the Edge



Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like a Lady



Aerosmith - Dream On



Standing up on a grand piano in front of thousands.  Only rockstars can pull that off.

Aerosmith - Bass Solo + Sweet Emotion + Outro



Aerosmith just plainly rocks hard despite all the years that they've been playing.  This was by far the best show out of the three.  Steve Tyler made full use of the large T-shaped stage and tried to engage the crowd by going near each seat section.

Jason Mraz [Full Band]
(SMART Araneta Coliseum)


Jason Mraz - You Fckn Did It



I actually liked this song.  Especially now that Mona is doing percs for Mraz.  She excudes a more pleasant and magnetic vibe compared to Toca (not to take anything away from Toca, of course).

Jason Mraz - I'm Yours + Three Little Birds



Funny how a number of people around couldn't even recognize the Bob Marley excerpt that Mraz inserted in the middle of his last song.  I suppose it's really just my age creeping up to me.

It was only in Jason Mraz's concerts do I hear what hundreds of pairs of panties dropping simultaneously sounds like.  It's that screeching shout of pure glee that signifies multiple fallopian tubes flapping at the same time.  Oh come on girls.  Don't pretend you don't want to get in his pants.  I honestly think pervy fanboying applies to women too.


My only regret last month is that I opted not to go watch the Deftone concert.  I already missed them last year.  And I decided to pass on their concert last month.  I felt I should give my wallet a break.  And I had no friends who wanted to come watch with me.  Perhaps next year they will be back.

Musical month all in all.  The costs were heavy.  But I wanted to take advantage of the opportunities otherwise I'd throw those artists in a very long bucket list of artists I want to see live.  I also had a gig or two sprinkled across the month of May.  But that will be a different blog post entirely.



END OF LINE...

No comments: