Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Power of the Pentatonic Scale

The past few months have been such a late epiphany for me about Bobby McFerrin. For years, the only thing I knew about Bobby McFerrin is how intricate his song "Don't Worry Be Happy" was put together. No instruments, all vocal track harmonies, layered one after another in an analog recording studio (That basically means if he made a mistake, he rerecords the entire track again). That in itself was amazing for me.

Friends, as of late, have been showing me YouTube videos of Bobby McFerrin that totally blew my mind. One of which is the video that I'm sharing with you below. This was taken at the World Science Festival in 2009. The theme of the event was "Notes and Neurons". And they brought in Bobby McFerrin as an expert speaker for the event.



It's uncanny how the pentatonic scale seems to be instinctual to people. It gives some of us musician wannabees a little hope. LOL!


END OF LINE...

No comments: