Sunday, February 28, 2010

The End of the Month Long Birthday Celebration

Today is the last day of February. As heavy as it has been at work. I managed to squeeze out free time during weekends this past month to attempt to celebrate my birthday. Now, usually I celebrate it once and that would be it. However, given how mundane my birthday was last year, how alone I've felt, and how hard I've been working, I decided to extend my birthday celebration for the entire month instead.  I needed to feel content and proud of myself.

I can't really divulge all the details of all the celebration events that took place this month.  But I can certainly share some.

Bought enough food to feed my entire company on the Friday of my actual birthday weekend. The cake they got for me was certainly a surprise. It felt a little good to know that they somewhat care about me beyond just being a boss. I rarely feel that in the office these days. The rare feeling was welcome when it came on that Friday.

I bought a new PC for myself. I've been putting it off for a while. But 13th month pay provided the funds for some much needed "giving back to myself". Below is a picture for my new PC.

I spent a considerable amount of money on this PC. I have a knack of doing this. I max out the specs of a new PC, so that it will last a number of years before buying a new one. My previous PC was very much like that too. But 6 years later and it was time to change it up. Below are the specs of my new PC.

Intel Core i7-920 (2.66G) 8mb cache
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Motherboard
Corsair 6GB ddr3-1600 (3x2Gb) RAM
250GB Seagate Sata HDD
1.5Terabyte Seagate SATA 32mb HDD
Liteon 24x DVDRW Sata Optical Drive
2 x 1GB Saphire Radeon HD 5770 VaporX ddr5(128bit)
Silent Pro M1000 (RS-A00-AMBA-J3) 1000watt PSU
Coolermaster CM (RC-922) Haf 922, Black, Mesh
Logitech EX100 cordless Keyboard + mouse
Windows 7 Ultimate Full


I finally got my Crossfire setup that I always wanted. And considering how beautiful games like Global Agenda, Mass Effect 2, Borderlands, etc. are on my new PC. I definitely think it was money well spent.

A friend of mine, whether he intentionally was doing it or not, questioned me saying "What are you gonna do exactly that you'd need a PC like that?". I found it condescending. But he's a long time friend, and he has a knack to over-criticize. (Well, he's a guy that has 7 guitars, aside from a bass guitar, midi keyboards, and a mixer.). So I suppose we all have our own obsessions. I merely responded back to him with "I don't need it. I want it." With very little considerations in my life, if I could buy a kick-ass PC, then why wouldn't I.

But wait, there's more.

My sister's and my brother-in-law, happened to give me a PS3 for my birthday. So not only do I have a gaming machine with my new PC, now I have a PS3. I got both on the same weekend. And I was standing here in my appartment looking at both of these machines. I told myself "Damn, this is gaming gluttony." LOL!

I couldn't try my PS3 that weekend. I had to wait until the next weekend to buy some games and try it out. So it was funny that my PS3 was just sitting in its box relatively untouched for a week. By the following weekend, I already bought the following games:

Tekken 6
Dante's Inferno
Demon's Soul
StreetFighter 4 (bought this the week after)

I have so many games available to me on my PC and PS3 that I don't know which one to play. I just recently finished Dante's Inferno on Classic Mode. So now I have to decide which game I want to focus on next.

My two friends Roland and Palmer have been celebrating my birthday with me the past few weekends. We'd go out, get drunk, and then some. And then they'd crash at my place and begin all the gaming available here. Coincidentally, each weekend when they crash at my, we would always order Sango. I love their burgers and rice meals there. It's just way too good.

After another Friday night of boozin' away all the stress of the work week, a good friend of mine, Mari came over. Thanks to my cousin and some over buying of beer from previous weekends, Mari and I had a blast drinking up 4 different kinds of beer. We watched stuff I downloaded, listened to music, etc. I was nice to just hang with a good friend for a change. Roland came over after his gig, and we hung out until 5:00AM. That was definitely fun.

As I end this month long celebration, it was refreshing to have friends who actually look to hang with you. Other people are just too busy or are set with what they like doing, that I've been left relatively isolated for quite a few months since even before the holidays. I do want to hang out with certain people, but they're just too involved in their own lives these days. Can't blame them. But you also gotta wonder who really values you when they never make the effort to hang with you. I can easily sling that comment to myself as well. So to each their own I suppose. So hanging out with some friends regularly these past few weekends was relieving to me. I didn't have to impress, nor did I have to watch myself when I'm around them. I'm not a boss, I don't have to reach their level. I can just be me. We relatively shared the same interests. And we were all raring to spend some time and money on having fun or gaming.

So now, the birthday month is over. And I should really give my wallet a rest. But a part of me doesn't want to just stop at my birthday month. We'll see how each weekend goes going forward. If there is nothing else to look forward to, lifelong celebration would be one of the things that would get me through each week at work. I just don't want it to end. We'll see.

But as far as this month is concerned, it's been real fun.


END OF LINE...