Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Enjoy the Silence...

I've been listening to a lot of Lacuna Coil lately. I first found out about the band because I inadvertently watched their music video of "Swamped" some time last year. I ended up checking out all their albums and absolutely loved the last two recent ones. My favorite is their 2006 album entitled "Karmacode". Their songs sport heavy guitar and bass riffs but are softened just a tad by the female vocalist's ethereal sound. So it's just perfect to listen to while I'm stressed at work without letting the music get me more riled up (apparently listening to KoRn and Disturbed rides and amplifies the stress and frustration I feel when I listen to it).

My good friend Euri sees Lacuna Coil as a goth rock band. I suppose they are. But I like their music nonetheless. I'm pretty open to most genres.

The last song of Lacuna Coil's Karmacode album is a cover song originally done by Depeche Mode. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that cover version of the song because I already took a liking to Lacuna Coil and I love Depeche Mode to boot.

I found the music video of their cover song on YouTube, of course. Below is the MV along with it's corresponding prose.



Enjoy the Silence
Covered by Lacuna Coil
Original by Depeche Mode


Words like violence
Break the silence
Come crashing in
Into my little world
Painful to me
Pierce right through me
Can't you understand
Oh my little girl

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Vows are spoken
To be broken
Feelings are intense
Words are trivial
Pleasures remain
So does the pain
Words are meaningless
And forgettable

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

All I ever wanted
All I ever needed
Is here in my arms
Words are very unnecessary
They can only do harm

Enjoy the silence
Enjoy the silence
Enjoy the silence
Enjoy the silence


As always, I have to find a live version of the song in YouTube as well. The male back-up vocalist kinda bugged the shit out of me in this live performance. But the female vocalist is still good. Here's the video below.



Okay, I admit I got pretty obsessed with the damn song despite the lyrical meaning of the song having zero relevance to my life currently. I went looking for the original version of the song on YouTube. And to my surprise, I found it. Below is the music video of Depeche Mode's version of the song.



Then I searched for a live version of the Depeche Mode original. Yes, continuing the obsessiveness, I know. Depeche Mode likes changing their live renditions of theirs on any give gig. I always find that cool about bands. Here is a bootleg video of one of their live performances below.



Just to finish off the obsession about the song, my friend Liz noticed from my YM status that I was seriously crunching over this song. She sent me what I think is the best version of the song. The video below is a remix done by Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park.



This version just put me over the top about the song. Although, I'm kinda irked with Mike Shinoda's rapping in Linkin Park songs (Chester Benington is awesome though), I'm pretty impressed with what he did for this Depeche Mode song. He gave the original song more edge to it in true Linkin Park fashion.


END OF LINE...

2 comments:

Euri said...

Yey to Lacuna Coil! \m/

I know Depeche Mode! This is an old band, right? 80s perhaps?

sundowndos said...

yeah it's an 80s band. you weren't even born yet at the time... hehe... shit, i'm old... hehe