Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Driven to Tears

So the title of this post is a little too emo than what it's really about. Although I have been feeling a little down the past week or so, this is more about how I miss having awesome gigs where I'm in the zone while I'm playing.

SunDownMuse has been known to do mostly originals and maybe 1 or 2 covers. But when we do pick a cover to do, we make sure that it's a great song and our rendition of it does the song and the artist justice.

This particular song I wanted to share with everyone is from The Police. My bandmates and I can never get enough of The Police and Sting (I see them as two completely separate styles of music even though they both involve Sting).

I found a video of the song performed live back in 1986 on YouTube. You gotta love YouTube. It gives you the benefit of seeing artists of the past perform even though you had little or no sense of music during the time these artists were performing. Check out the video below and its corresponding prose.



Drive to Tears
by The Police

How can you say that you're not responsible?
What does it have to do with me?
What is my reaction?
What should it be?
Confronted by this latest atrocity
Driven to tears
Driven to tears
Driven to tears

Hide my face in my hands, shame wells in my throat
My comfortable existence is reduced
To a shallow, meaningless party
Seems that when some innocents die
All we can offer them is a page in a some magazine
Too many cam'ras and not enough food
'Cause this is what we've seen
Driven to tears
Driven to tears
Driven to tears

Protest is futile
Nothing seems to get through
What's to become of our world?
Who knows what to do?
Driven to tears
Driven to tears
Driven to tears
Driven to tears
Driven to tears
Driven to tears


Years later, the Police got back together to do a Reunion World Tour. I personally have the 720p HD copy in my PC of their live concert in Japan back in 2007. Below is a video of them performing the same song in Madrid. I can decisively say that years of experience in music has definitely developed their sound to a more mature and awesome aural treat. They seem to be able to fill up an entire concert hall with their music for just a 3 piece band.



Last, but not least, below is a bootleg recording of my band playing our rendition of Drive to Tears. We play a more rocked out version, mind you. This particular bootleg recording was made during our Bar 42 gig about 2 years ago at least. Damn, I miss gigs like those. I really felt in the zone with my playing that night. Hopefully we'll get more gigs like that in the immediate future.



Damn, I just love it when it all comes together when my bandmates and I play like that. I miss that shit.


END OF LINE...

No comments: