Thursday, February 12, 2009

Keeping It Simple...

I've been on edge with work lately. Looks like I might've bitten off more than I chew with my new promotion. People around me seem to be increasingly opinionative and complaintative, without any notion of actually doing any form of action to work towards resolution of issues. Superiors have been getting more and more illogical in their ranting and grilling sessions. But I still try to remain professional and continue acting as the universal referree to all these marauding people.

All the stress and frustration has accumulated to the point that I had my first cluster headache attack in the middle of the night a few days ago. It's been 2 days since then. And although I haven't had another attack since, I feel this slight headache looming and lingering around. I'm scared actually. I hope this isn't the beginning of my 1-2 month run of pain.

I didn't start this post to rant really. I wanted to blog about all the little things that I'm trying in order to relax and cope with all the stress. So my apologies if this post started off a little negative.

Thursday last week, I finally got to jam with my band, SunDownMuse, after 2-3 months of band inactivity. Our drummer and lead guitarist were both extremely busy the past few months with their freelancing and recital projects. Apparently, Briggs send a rough recording of new songs that were going to practice at our jam. I didn't see it in my email, so I didn't exactly know what to expect from the jam when we started. Easiest place to get together and jam was Pipeline Studios in Jupiter Street, Makati, as usual, since the majority of us work somewhere in Makati.

To my surprise, the plan for the jam was to practice new songs instead of kicking the rust of playing our usual originals. This was the first time that we actually jammed new original songs with this particular band line-up. So the UP Music members had a chance to inject their knowledge and experience into these new songs for a change. The songs came out different from our usual 70s rock/funk vibe. It felt weird at first. But I soon cozied up to the the two songs we jammed, particularly the second song.

I was actually happy enough to just see and hang with my bandmates again. I missed these guys a lot the past few months. And I was happy enough to just road test my darbuka. I'm getting comfortable playing my new baby. Something tells me my darbuka will make its way to gigs often these days. It certainly is much smaller and lighter to carry around than two large congas. But of course, you really can't beat the cool look factor of congas on stage. It makes me look like some awesome percussionist even though I'm really not. LOL!

This week at work has been tough again. I just love the way people try to run you under the bus in front of you superiors just to save their own skin. But I'm a tank in the office. And I still manage to defend myself and push forward with what I need to do.

But that jam with my band last week really showed me that I can simplify things to just making music with people, and laugh once again. Perhaps I should look to hang out with non-office people for a change. Just so I have a break from all the difficulty and hardship.

My birthday is coming up (and no, I won't tell you when my birthday is or hold old I am), and I'm looking forward to going with Briggs and Islaw to Naga this weekend. Music lovers in Naga so appreciate SunDownMuse and its members. So this will be a weekend filled with jamming, enjoying other people's music, booze, and ehem... and then some. ;-)

Julianne is going to be playing at Wharf Galley Rock Cafe in Naga this weekend as well. So perhaps I can sneak in a jam with her or even just a picture. That girl is so good. From her sultry soul vocal chords, to her Ani Di Franco-esque style of guitar playing.

So here's to making things simple. And on the advent on my birthday, I can't think of a better way to celebrate it. I hope this weekend purges a lot of the stress that contributed to my cluster headache attack two days ago. I certainly hope this will help me recover. Wish me luck.


END OF LINE...

No comments: