Saturday, January 3, 2009

Neon

Well, it's officially the 3rd day of 2009. And I feel sick since yesterday. There are a lot of thoughts going through my head. However, instead of downloading those thoughts in a post, I decided to just share with you guys a song I've been crunching over the past few weeks.

This particular song is by John Mayer from his first album. The song speaks of a girl that lives an action-packed life, and the see-saw pain/bliss of pursuing a girl like that. I suppose initially I was drawn to this song because I've associated myself in the past with girls like the one described in the song. Stupid really. Although the words of the song have some slight significance to my life, I ultimately was drawn to the song more on how upbeat and melodic it is. I tried to learn it on guitar, in the hopes that I can add it to my small repetoire of inuman jam songs. But unfortunately, the song is just a little to difficult for my limited guitar skills. I like the song nonetheless. And I've been listening to it as a little "pick-me-up" whenever I'm down. Seems to work for some reason.

Anyway, below is a make-shift video that someone made of the song, and its accompanying prose.



Neon
by John Mayer


When sky blue gets dark enough
To see the colors of the city lights
A trail of ruby red and diamond white
Hits her like a sunrise

She comes and goes and comes and goes
Like no one can

Tonight she's out to lose herself
And find a high on Peachtree Street
From mixed drinks to techno beats it's always
Heavy into everything

She comes and goes and comes and goes
Like no one can
She comes and goes and no one knows
She's slipping through my hands

She's always buzzing just like
Neon, neon
Neon, neon
Who knows how long, how long, how long
She can go before she burns away

I can't be her angel now
You know it's not my place to hold her down
And it's hard for me to take a stand
When I would take her anyway I can

She comes and she goes
Like no one can
She comes and she goes
She's slipping through my hands

She's always buzzing just like
Neon, neon
Neon, neon
Who knows how long, how long, how long
She can go before she burns away, away.

She comes and she goes
Like no one can
She comes and she goes
She's slipping through my hands

She's always buzzing just like
Neon, neon
Neon, neon
Who knows how long, how long, how long
She can go before she burns away



As always, I like putting a live version of any song I share in my blog. But I couldn't really decide which one of the two live videos of the song I liked better. So I'll just post them both up here.

Below is a Live in LA version of the song by John Mayer.



And lastly, below is an acoustic live version of the song. The acoustic version is pretty good. It's really too bad I'm not better at guitar to be able to learn to play and sing this song.



John Mayer has since then released 2 other albums after the 1st one. It's interesting to note that his latest album is actually a 3-piece blues band. It's nice to know that his music is maturing as time passes.

END OF LINE...

1 comment:

Myls said...

hoowaw a John Mayer post! Neon is one of my favorites too; and his new album rocks!! very nice post!!