Friday, November 21, 2008

Onur Darbuka

Came across this awesome darbuka percussionist named Onur Il from Istanbul while I was browsing through videos in YouTube.

For those of you who do not know what a darbuka is, the generic term is "goblet" drum". It's a smaller drum that resembles the shape of a djembe. But the sounds and tones from a darbuka are much higher and less warm compared to a djembe.

I love the way that a darbuka sits on your lap on top of your left thigh while you play it. I've always been use to congas standing in front of me, or a djembe or bongos cupped in between my legs.

Check out two videos by Onur soloing on a darbuka below. Take note that the first video shows Onur soloing using both a darbuka and a djembe drum at the same time. I think he put a light inside his darbuka making the drum head glow like that. Way cool.



This next video shows Onur soloing with a more traditional darbuka. Hence the skin looks like it's weaved over the drum rather than inserted in.



This guy's finger work is amazing. It seems that he has full use of all 10 of his fingers in order to reach the speeds that he's able to attain while playing. How I wish I was as good as him.

The only guy here in Manila that I've seen play a darbuka extremely well is Bodetz from Pinikpikan. That guy is crazy on a darbuka.

If anybody is selling or knows anybody who's selling a darbuka in good condition, please let me know. I want to start learning some darbuka rhythms.

END OF LINE...

2 comments:

Euri said...

Wow cool!

What's that one he's playing called?

sundowndos said...

it's a darbuka...