Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nutshell

Although I have a number of ideas for my next blog post, I just don't feel like writing about them at this time. I tried again last night, but somehow something unknown is bothering me. So instead I picked up my guitar and played the first song that came to mind.

The song is from one of my all-time favorite grunge bands called Alice in Chains. I must've played and sang this song a million times through the years, and it has always managed to gently rub my back to calm me down, so to speak. This song is widely known to many grunge-heads out there, and has been covered by many bands who grew up with grunge, the likes of Staind and Seether.

There isn't an official music video for this song. But I managed to find a home made music video that someone created and uploaded on the net. Below is that video and the song's prose. The video is actually not that bad despite its make-shift nature.



Nutshell
by Alice in Chains


We chase misprinted lies
We face the path of time
And yet I fight
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Oooh...Oooh...
Oooh...Oooh...

My gift of self is raped
My privacy is raked
And yet I find
And yet I find
Repeating in my head
If I can't be my own
I'd feel better dead

Oooh...Oooh...
Oooh...Oooh...

Of course, the MTV unplugged version is by far the best version of this song. You can almost feel the emotions ooze out of Alice in Chains' performance.



It's funny that people point out that the songs I write exude influences from Alice in Chains. I suppose this song, more than any other AIC song, has had the greatest impact on me, and obviously in my many futile attemps to express myself through song-writing.

Even though Layne Staley, the band's vocalist, died due to a drug overdose, the band got back together a year or two ago and started touring. There are a number of live videos of them performing this song on YouTube. But I still prefer the way the band sounded back when Layne was still alive. For me, he's half the band's sound already.

END OF LINE...

1 comment:

Euri said...

hmm... nice song~