Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Let Down...

I was just Youtube surfing the other day, as I always do everyday. I was originally searching for videos of Jonathan Davis' song "System", whose vocal tracks are sang by Chester Bennington. Chester Benington is one of two vocalists in a band called Linkin Park. But I really loved his vocal tracks in "System" that I started watching any interesting videos in the related videos section of YouTube.

Apparently, Chester has a side project band called "Dead by Sunrise" which are composed of members from Julien-K with Chester as the sole frontman. This band is sporting a completely different sound from Chester's other bands, past and present. I like the tinge of the Cure in the few live songs they have on YouTube.

I came across this song performed by what is essentially Dead by Sunrise. Chester was doing a charity performance on live television and sang this song back in 2005. I gave it a listen twice and I was convinced that this was a song I wanted to learn to play on guitar and sing. The chords were simple, which gave much lee-way to focus on singing.

I'm not going to lie, when I listened to the song for the first time, I felt a heavy weight on my chest. A weight I haven't felt in quite a long time. And whenever that happens, I ride it by diving right into the song I'm listening to. Hence why, after some practice, this song will be part of my regular song list for inuman-jams. It's ironic that I can use a song that depresses me into a means of dealing with that depression. Exploring music as a means to deal with one's emotions is hardly equivalent to a blade grazing across one's wrist. But some people are naive enough to assume so. Singing the high notes of Chester's vocal parts in this song relieves that very weight in my chest. And I find this ultimately a healthy outlet for emotions.

Below is a video of the song along with the song's prose. The song is relatively short and sweet. But I think the beauty of it lies in its simplicity.



Let Down
by Chester Bennington


And the tears fall like rain
Down my face again
Oh the words you wouldn't say
And the games you played
With my unfoolish heart
Oh I should have known this from the start

Oh the winter and spring
Going hand in hand
Just like my love and pain
How the thought of you cuts deep within the vein
Oh this brand new skin stretched across scared terrain

I don't want to be let down
I don't want to live my life again
Don't want to be led down the same old road
Said I don't want to be let down
I don't want to live my lies again
Don't want to be led down the same old road

All those years down the drain
Love was not enough
When you want everything
What I gave to you and now the end must start
Oh I should have listened to my heart

'Cause I don't want to be let down
I don't want to live my life again
Don't want to be led down the same old road
Said I don't want to be let down
I don't want to live my lies again
Don't want to be led down the same old road

I don't want to be let down
I don't want to live my life again
Don't want to be led down the same old road
Said I don't want to be let down
I don't want to live my lies again
Don't want to be led down the same old road



END OF LINE...

No comments: